Friday 28 June 2013

How's the serenity?

After a sleepless night in Kalamos we are the first to leave at 7am and we can't wait to get away from the wind tunnel.  Lucky for us we don't have a fouled anchor.

We are headed to Nidri on the East coast of Lefkada about two hours away.  The wind is already blowing at 4s and 5s but we don't care any more.

Once we get close to the bay the winds die down and it's pretty calm and we find a spot on the wharf to reverse into.  It's very close to all the shops and Tavernas.  We jump ashore and head for the closest cafe for a caffeine hit and some breakfast.  Oh god it's so great to be where there is no wind for a change.  It looks like we may stay in the area for some time as there is another bay further south of Nidri that we would like to visit as well.

After a few good coffees I head into the town in search of a sports bar to watch the State of Origin.  I try every place that has a TV but no luck.  Andy at the DeVine Bar spends a while Googling for me but has no luck either however I decide we can use his Wi-Fi and listen to the game like last time.


After showers and some tidying up on the yacht we head over for the game.  Well what can I say other than what a turn around from game 1. Lets hope the Blues learn a few things from this game and thrash the Maroons in a few weeks.  

We are going to be adults tonight and stay up late for a change.  We have some Ouzos at one of the lounges and a few drinks on board the yacht.  We feel like celebrating as finally we can relax and light up one of the Cuban cigars that Craig gave us. Soooo smooth.  Thanks Craig.


Next it's out to find a club and we try a few Bars along the beach front and enjoy chillin out.  There's not really any clubbing going on so we have our midnight supper of chicken shish on the way home.  We sleep in till 10am oh heaven and eventually head for our caffeine hit.

It's another great day with the temperature hitting the high 20s.  We decide to leave and check out Vlikhou.  Finally it's our turn to get a fouled anchor and boy it's a beauty.  I've managed to hook my anchor through an old one laying on the bottom with chain.  The anchor winch seizes and Greg has to dive in and somehow release the anchor.  Unfortunately the old anchor and chain will remain on the bottom for another poor soul to get fouled on as its too heavy to remove.

It's only about one nautical mile south to Vlikhou and we find a great place to anchor, the bay is pretty full as a lot of sailors would be running from the winds.  Outside its still blowing 5s and 6s but we are fully protected where we are.  We drop anchor and all I feel like doing is sleeping so I doze off throughout the day in the cockpit in between lunch and swimming.  Finally we can relax!


I row ashore as we are going for dinner at one for the Tavernas along the shore.  The one we go to had a lovely veranda over the water and the food is home cooked and delicious.  We finish our night at the Quay Cafe that has great Wi- Fi and served us a beautiful plate to go with our Ouzo which we could not eat as so full from dinner.  I felt bad leaving it but took the photo.
  
It's a very peaceful night on the yacht and we have another great sleep.  I get up early to apply for a few jobs that have been advertised as I work better in the morning.  I also read the ICC book from start to finish basically the certification you need to sail in Europe.  I am trying to find a company that will let me sit the exam while I'm over here.

After a coffee on board we decide to head back to Nidri for some provisioning as we are out of water.  Greg doesn't want to tie up at the wharf again and get fouled so he reverses onto a charter pontoon and drops me off.  That's where the fun begins.  I'm back on the pontoon waiting to get picked up and I can see Greg passing me by but not even looking my way.  He's going to the wrong pontoon for me.  30 mins later as the ice is melting away he finally picks up his phone and all my unhappy messages.  Meanwhile the tender that was tied to the front of the yacht has filled with water and we have lost out temporary seat.  Yes it's still a mystery what actually happen to our tender seat.  Anyway we must be too relaxed as we keep stuffing up.  Greg finally realises I'm on the other wharf waiting for him and not a happy chap might I say.  On the way back to Vlikhou Greg empties the water out of the tender and cops and earful from me.  It takes us three attempts to dig the anchor in and we are finally secure for another peaceful day / night in Vlikhou.


1 comment:

  1. Hello G&G, Okay, so there are good days and bad days, but on the whole its not a bad place to be! Glad that you found some 'windless' places to enjoy & relax. We look at the photos and envy your warmth and sunshine. Eleven degs. here, wet and miserable, so soak the Med. climate while you can. Much love. A&M xx

    ReplyDelete